Character animation does not move

I am studying character animation in Chapter 24, and other than the skeletonWave.usda file included in the project, usd files created in blender or 3dMax do not work in this code. It’s really driving me crazy. I don’t know if I should make it a usda file or if a usdc or usd file is also possible. I wonder if it doesn’t work because the current xcode version is 15.0.1… Also, the last post says to try converting the fbx file to a usd file, but I don’t know how to do this either. Please help me

Hi @ipod12 and welcome to the forums! :wave:

Try your USD file with this code from the upcoming new version. There were some breaking changes in Xcode 15, and the book code had a problem too.

If it doesn’t work, let me know. It’s quite difficult code, and I’d like it to work well.

Animation.zip (3.7 MB)

I don’t know whether RealityConverter still does fbx. Blender doesn’t export USD skeletal animations, so I have been exporting in glTF format and using RealityConverter to convert to USDZ. I assign textures in RealityConverter too, as that seems to work better than Blender.

The new code works with the Apple Gallery USDZ animated models, the drummer, the plane and the robot. (Not the For All Mankind models, as they are reality files.)

1 Like

Thank you so much. This thing works great! You are a lifesaver! RealityConverter can be used to convert fbx to usdz. However, when extracting the gltf file from blender and converting it to usdz, the model may be broken. Maybe I did something wrong with the extraction settings. Anyway thank you very much

1 Like

I’m very glad to hear it!

If you are continuing with the book, wherever there is animation, you might have to substitute this code.

Especially the quaternion initialisation in Transform, which has changed in Xcode 15.