Chapter 19: Tessellation & Terrains - aerial view image texture

Dear Metal Authors
Many thanks for this great tutorial!
I’m coming from OpenGL programming in R where I got a high resolution height map and a high resolution aerial view png-file. 3D rendering works well except that it is slow. That’s why I explore Apple’s Metal. I can produce the grayscale height map png-image, tessellate and visualize the height map displacement according to your example in chapter 19. But I was not able so far to render my high resolution aerial image png as texture (runtime EXC_BAD_INSTUCTION / thread 3). My png-file is 27.2 MB, color space is “RGB”, color profile is “general RGB”, size is 18522 x 26603.
Any advise would be welcome. I would also be happy to pay for some consulting time.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi @gemsfairen and welcome to the forum!

I haven’t done this myself, but, if you really can’t reduce the resolution, I would start by tiling the texture. The maximum width and height of a texture is 16384 pixels. https://developer.apple.com/metal/Metal-Feature-Set-Tables.pdf

This Apple article renders a 16K texture: Streaming large images with Metal sparse textures

1 Like

Hi Caroline
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply with the valuable hint and links! Very much appreciated! Now I know where to dive in further.
Best regards,
Guido

1 Like