Animation in Blender -> MDLAsset

For some reason when I export a .usdc/.usda file from blender I cannot read animation data in xcode. Is there some sort of setting I need to apply in blender for xcode/swift to read the animation correctly?

The usd export from Blender is fairly new, and I haven’t had a chance to examine it yet, so I can’t comment on that.

My approach would be to examine the contents of a simple .usda export and see how it differs from the expected.

In the same boat. Blender’s USD export add-on does not (yet) support animation. As a workaround, you can export to GLTF and use Apple’s Reality Converter (free on Apple’s website) to convert the GLTF file to USDZ.

I managed to convert to USD for the skeleton animations - walk, run and idle all in the same file. That was from Blender. I would have exported each to an individual fbx or glTF file, and converted to USDZ. I remember laboriously copying and pasting the animation sections of the USD files into one, so that they were all in one file.

1 Like

Brilliant! I always wondered how you managed to get that skeleton into USDZ format.

Thank you :slight_smile: - I think USD is a great format, because you can edit or create anything in text, and it’s all logically put together. I used a basic Pixar tutorial to work out how the file is composed, but I can’t find it. Also, if you use (paid) Houdini which I almost but not quite can, their new Solaris is a way of authoring scenes and variants.