Which Advanced iOS Book Would You Prefer?

Actually, I agree. Something along a robust test setup and configuration would be nice. Especially exploring testing solutions out there.

Though I like them all, this would be my favorites

1. Advanced LLDB Debugging & Reverse Engineering. - As I like to take both inspiration and, for a completely different reason, I like to study how big apps work, for example I’d like very much to understand the underlying behavior of Whatsapp, or similar apps.
  2. iOS App Architecture - As I want to build apps better as possible, in terms of scalability, readability, maintenance-bility and last but not least, less buggy as possible and easy to debug/test. Also, all the books in this site teach to build UI with storyboards (at least the ones in the Store). I’d like a book that teaches how to build a complex UI completely in code, as many companies require that and a good iOS developer should be able to make UI either in code or IB.
  3. Design Patterns in Swift and Algorithms in Swift - They’re both interesting but seem to be complementar, if one of them has to be published, I’d miss the other.
  4. Advanced iOS Games by Tutorials - This intrigues me. I put it in the 4th place because I find the ones above more fundamental, as my goal is not just learning to develop games. I still have to buy/read the book about making 2d games in Swift. I’m in doubt that a such book wouldn’t prepare me enough for the complex games developing world
 not even for elaborate 2d games.
  5. Reactive Programming with RxSwift - Though it could be interesting and worth a reading, this would be the last book I would like to see published after all the ones above. Not because I don’t find interesting, but since writing books requires time and efforts, I just would like to see the others before.

IOS Development in Xamarin.

With Xamarin you are not locked to a single OS, but can quite easily run the same program on multiple platforms.

With a ton of more headache to be concerned with. I cannot tell you how bad my experience has been with Xamarin development.

1 Like

I have to agree with @thegamingart. Xamarin’s not an easy tool to work with - while the platform-independent parts of your code may be transferrable between platforms, making it work with the platform-specific elements (e.g. UIKit) is a headache - you’re relying on third-party developers to create C# implementations of Objective C (possibly Swift now?) concepts such as optional protocol methods and non-nullable object references.

Single tools for multiple platforms generally sell themselves on reducing your workload or producing a consistent experience on multiple platforms. However, most users don’t use multiple platforms, and in order to get something close to the experience a user expects from a native app on their platform, you probably have to have the knowledge required to have made a native app for that platform anyway.

1 Like

Vote: Advanced iOS Games by Tutorials
There’s a lot out about the basics of games (single screen, or flappy bird/crossy roads type stuff), but none on large scale games.

Advanced LLDB Debugging & Reverse Engineering or Advanced iOS Games.

I know people working with Xamarin and having no issues at all.

Personally just being able to use Visual Studio 2015 instead of Xcode, is a HUGE bonus.

But thats a matter of preference of course, some people still develop in vi/emacs :slight_smile:

In-depth Core Graphics using Swift 3, but with a focus on using the tools like PaintCode 2.x and AutoDesk “Graphic” (v3.x) for both App’s capabilities to generate Core Graphics code (in Swift). The AutoDesk “Graphic” doesn’t “package” the code quite as well as PaintCode 3. Someone could do a killer book that enables a whole new generation of powerful GUI SW Developers. These tools radically streamline doing advanced GUI SW Development
but a book on this could go a long way in exposing all the tips and tricks while providing some very good example code/projects along the way.

Some things are a preference, other things introduce new issues in the environment. Considering I work among numerous developers (including myself) that work within the Xamarin environment, and one of the Xamarin engineers works right down the street from me, I think I can confidently say the toolset has far more cons than pros. Someone may prefer .NET, but the same argument applies for using something like Ionic to develop and application. The tool un-necessarily abstracts a lot of things from the developer introducing a slew of bugs a developer simply cannot address without attempting to hack around (that’s just the nature of the tool). That’s ignoring the necessary overhead and JIT performance introduced depending on which devices you compile for. I will never vouch for this tool and can’t express how irritating it is when I inherit projects developed using it. Liking .NET and Visual Studio is by far a bad justification for introducing debugging nightmares, overhead, dependencies, delayed frameworks, etc etc. Just use the native toolsets
 Anyways, this argument is long and old and can be googled fairly easily. I’m sure if you google “issues with Xamarin”, you’ll find a list quite easily.

How about server side Swift - web services with swift, etc?

2 Likes

Advanced Custom transitions Animations and Drawing

Advanced deeplinking which would cover search with siri, in app system search, custom url schemes, linking from other 3rd party apps, 3rd party websites, through the different types of extensions (including keyboard, activity, notification center, wearable extensions), linking through push notifications including interactive notifications etc. Obviously this would feature heavily for iOS 10

Maybe also a book on some combination of Augmented Reality, VR, Computer Vision and Pattern recognition/classification with swift front end. Also as someone else suggested maybe one with swift and custom webservices with node.JS

The architecture stuff you can already get from the books Head First Design Patterns and the Gang of 4 Design Patterns book.

In order of interest:

1. iOS App Architecture
  2. Design patterns

Would I pay the listed prices for them? Not sure. At the very least I would probably look longingly at the pictures of these books and I might buy them. I already support RW with a monthly subscription and funds are limited.

This would be a great book too!

Would love a full book on CloudKit. The video series is pretty good, but sparse compared with a full book. The chapter in the core data book is now outdated, as the method of using ubiquity containers is now deprecated and won’t be supported at all on watch.

Hey guys.

Will you tell us which book you gonna write?

Animation, please. SprikeKit, SceneKit.

“iOS App Architecture” would be awesome

I prefer all of them.

Guys, I voted for all books. Even if I wont read all of them - I be happy to add them to my purchase list and buy further, so I be able to support your huge efforts and have all your books in my loot :smiley: