What should I choose to build an iOS app with scalability in mind for Android?

Hi there! I have a web app and I want to create an iOS app for it. Could you please recommend which language I should choose and provide the upsides and downsides of both Swift and Flutter(Dart)?

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :smiley:

I’m glad you’re considering expanding your web app to mobile platforms, but your question is unclear. In your post title, you mention “scalability in mind for Android”, do you mean that you plan to create an Android version of your app in the future, or do you want to develop a cross-platform app that runs on iOS and Android now?

Assuming you’re interested in both platforms, Swift and Flutter (Dart) offer different approaches.

Swift is a powerful and intuitive programming language for iOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS. If you’re focused primarily on iOS for now and want the best possible performance and native features, Swift is a great choice. However, Swift is not cross-platform. If you decide to support Android in the future, you’ll need to write your app in another language like Dart, as you noted, or Kotlin. Kodeco has created helpful learning paths and books to introduce you to any of the three programming languages mentioned here. If you have a subscription, give them a try!

Flutter uses Dart and is a UI toolkit by Google for crafting beautiful, natively compiled mobile, web, and desktop applications from a single codebase. This means you can use the same code to create apps for iOS and Android.

Your choice really depends on your needs. If you’re committed to iOS and Android from the start, Flutter might be your best bet due to its cross-platform capabilities. However, if your priority is maximum performance and leveraging the latest iOS features, Swift could be a better choice. Remember that if you choose Swift and later support Android, you must develop the Android version separately.

I hope that my response has been helpful. If there is anything I have misunderstood about your question, please let me know so I can provide you with a more accurate answer. Happy coding!

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.