Unable to view video on iPad

I’m getting the following error when I go to play the next video:

Why is this happening? What privacy settings are preventing me from viewing videos?

Are you seeing the video on “private browsing” parameters?

Even on desktop, this happens with Safari and Firefox, even on free videos, while it works on Chrome … My guess is that I have some Ad Blockers and other plugins (blocking Google Analytics and personal data transmission to Vimeo).

You’ll maybe get a better luck on Chrome or if you disable Ad Blockers and switch to non-private browsing.

@einharch, this change happened across iOS only, perhaps due to something in the 9.3 update. @catie and I both saw it first last Tuesday.

Hi @onceunpopularideas,

The problem is due to an issue with iOS 9.3.1 and vimeo.com privacy settings. We use Vimeo to host all of our videos and have certain privacy settings enabled to prevent viewing the subscriber only videos without a subscription. Unfortunately these settings seem to be having trouble with iOS 9.3.1.

If iOS 9.3.1 is what you are running on your iPhone or iPad, then the videos may have issues with playback on those devices.

Both Vimeo and Apple are aware of these issues. A fix is expected with the release of iOS 9.3.2, but unfortunately, there’s no ETA on this as Apple does not announce in advance when it will release these updates.

Until this fix comes, the videos can be viewed on your Mac. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Kind regards,
Christine

Hi @csweigart – This is (somewhat) unrelated to the thread - but since you are the video editor, I thought I’d reach out to you.

• Is there a way to play the RW videos at 1.2x - 1.5x the normal playback speed? I noticed you use Vimeo for hosting videos… so I’m not sure if they provide that ability. IF not, is there way to request Vimeo to provide this functionality? Thanks!

-atul

Hi @atul,

So sorry I missed your comment notification and just happened to see your comment now when I opened my forum page and it’s from forever ago. :[ Vimeo is not likely to provide this functionality because they have a four year long thread of people requesting this feature and them just saying no, it’s not important to enough of their users so they don’t plan on doing this. https://vimeo.com/forums/feature_requests/topic:43742

We are currently working on a fix to enable speedback controls ourself, but it’s going to be in the works a bit longer before it becomes available.

I just happened to look at the Vimeo thread again today to find the above link for you and a user posted this solution: “I just discovered there are free extensions for Chrome and also for Firefox that enable the user to adjust the speed of an embedded Vimeo video. I’ve tested them, and they seem to work OK on desktops/laptops. I’m not sure yet about their use on tablets and phones.”

I googled this and found the “Video Speed Controller” Chrome extension and added it to my browser. Just tried watching some of Tammy’s video from this week and it works like a charm. I’m watching on my Mac with the Chrome 50.0. If you use Chrome then you could try this out yourself. Let me know how it goes. Sorry I don’t have an option for other browsers or a more permanent fix yet, but it is in the works.

1 Like

@onceunpopularideas and @jcatterwaul,

You probably got the notice a while back on your iPhone that iOS 9.3.2 was released. But I just wanted to mention it here to you because 9.3.2 did resolve this bug that caiused playback problems with our videos. I hope you’ve already upgraded to 9.3.2 and are now enjoying the videos on your iPhones/iPads.

Let me know if you experience any more problems like this because we believe this is now resolved. Thanks!

1 Like

I am facing the video issue " Because of it’s privacy settings, this video cannot be viewed here" on iPadOS 14.0.1 can u please suggest what needs to be done.