Texture maps for the standard shaders

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone had come across a detailed guide on how to create / use texture maps to get different effects and appearances.

I’m pretty comfortable with the Albedo / Normal map combination and how to generate normal maps. I haven’t had much to do with the options (metallic, height, occlusion, detail mask, emission) and haven’t been able to find a decent resource to discuss all of them and how each is created.

Any tips would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Edit: for reference, the best resource i’ve found so far was originally intended for FF15 mods, lol Steam Community :: Guide :: Ultimate Texture And Material Guide

@northy179 Thank you for sharing the link - much appreciated! Do you still have issues with this?

Hi @shogunkaramazov thanks for asking, after a bit of digging I think i’ve mostly managed to work out what i need.

Funnily enough the Unity documentation has a lot of the detail I was looking for right here:

Also some helpful charts:

While 3D modelling software has a lot of the functionality to create these layers, I can’t find as many options in the 2D sprite space (except for Sprite Illuminator for normal maps). So I’m sure i’ll spend a lot of time tweaking layer RGB values :slight_smile:

One hitch with using the standard shader for 2D seems to be reversing the sprite (looking the other way as the character) as it only renders one side.

After much mucking around, I decided to adopt the lightweight render pipeline and built my own character shader with the new shader graph and it works great! and much more fun than coding a shader.

sprite%20shader

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.