Server Error no such module PackageDescription

On my MBP M1 running “swift run” results in an error Package.swift 2:8: error: no such module ‘PackageDescription’.
I’ve tried Rosetta “arch -x86_64 swift run” but no change.
I’m running Ventura beta, so that’s probably causing the problem. Any suggestions for getting it to work (besides regressing macOS)?

1 Like

Welcome back to the forums @rlisle ! Beta software from Apple does get better as it approaches release, in the meantime, I know the pain.

Sounds like PackageDescription isn’t found, that’s the part of SPM that handles packages from your Package.swift file. What does the following command output?

xcode-select --print-path

It may be bent out of shape, or pointing to CLI tools which instead should be reverted to Xcode itself using the following command:

sudo xcode-select --switch /your/path/to/Xcode

For your reference, on my MBP M1 (Monterrey) it points to: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

7 Likes

Yes! That was the problem. I had installed Xcode beta, so the path had changed to /Applications/Xcode-beta/Contents/Developer. Switching the xcode-select fixed the issue. Thank you very much!

1 Like

I had the same problem after upgrading to Xcode 14.0 (with Monterey 12.6)! I fixed it with the command:
sudo xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
Thank you very much!

4 Likes

Another satisfied user. Thank you for this. I was going nuts.

sudo xcode-select --switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

replaced the broken /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools.

3 Likes