Saving Data in iOS · Data | Ray Wenderlich

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/6307-saving-data-in-ios/lessons/5

I have been unable to open any of the files paths in Finder. I see you are right clicking and choosing to open URL, or to show in Finder in a previous video, but this does not work for me. It will go to Finder, but does not open any folders or anything like that. I can only assume this is an XCode bug. (Version 10.1 (10B61)) I have closed XCode and re-opened it multiple times, but the issue persists.

Is there an alternative way to see these folders?

Currently, I have to get the path property and copy it to my clipboard. Go to the menu in Finder and choose ‘Go to Folder’, and paste in the path.

I see you are right clicking and choosing to open URL, or to show in Finder in a previous video, but this does not work for me. It will go to Finder…

Which of these does not work for you (i.e. which is the “this” and the “It”)?

1. Open URL
  2. Show in Finder

Show in Finder doesn’t do what it says; it yields the unhelpful result you’re talking about:

go to Finder, but does not open any folders

Where did we use it in a previous video? That might have been a mistake!

Open URL is only available on the full URL: the part after the file name and two dashes. I have never had a problem with it not working, and it’s working for me in Xcode 10.1 and 10.2 (beta) right now, but if it’s not for you, then filing a bug sounds like a good idea. Just make sure you’re actually selecting Open URL and not Show in Finder first.

Currently, I have to get the path property and copy it to my clipboard. Go to the menu in Finder and choose ‘Go to Folder’, and paste in the path.

That’s what I would have recommended as a backup solution.

Hello @jessycatterwaul, thanks for replying. I tried to find the video where I thought you clicked ‘Show in Finder’, but I must have been listening to the audio while following in my own code. You mentioned on video 3 at 1:10, that, “You can right click on them, and open them in finder.”
However, in the video, you do click Open URL.
So my mistake.

I still had problems with Open URL, simply not doing anything for me. I restarted the computer, and it seems to be working just fine for me now.

Thanks again for the reply.

1 Like