RWDevCon 2016 Vault still relevant?

Hello,

I was wondering how relevant the content in this book is due to the fact that it was created pre-Swift 3?

For example, will the projects compile in Xcode 8? How much of a challenge is it to convert the code to Swift 3?

I always found this predicament about learning Swift and the fact that it is basically a beta language in constant flux.

Sure it is changing but you should find most of it still relevant. The Swift way of doing things isn’t really changing as the language evolves. I see it more as making things more consistent, especially the great function renaming.

Of the few larger projects I have converted lately the biggest issues have been access to raw pointers in OpenGL. I also found URLSession delegate changes confusing but that turned out to be entirely my fault… All the rest of the code was converted easily by Xcode. It is a little tedious going through up to 6 “fix-its” on a line at first but once you know the solution yourself it’s a relatively quick process.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, as far as I’m concerned the community has said the switch to Swift 3 has been a painful one. So regarding updating the projects to Swift 3, I wasn’t sure if it was worth the hassle to get into the projects in the RWDEVCON tutorials or to just start with Swift 3 tutorials from other sources.

Sure I’m biased but I’d say do the ones here. The conversion process is only occasionally painful. The conversion process may even be beneficial! In an ideal world from now on you would only encounter projects in Swift 3, but you know how that goes… at least if you have seen some Swift 2 you’ll recognise that you have to convert it.

@codewarrior_777 Thanks very much for your question!

I do believe some videos are indeed still relevant. One in particular is entitled, “Core Data Synchronization” which very people have actually taken the time to cover because of it’s complexity. Many people have actually requested us to expand further, or perhaps add a chapter to our Core Data by Tutorials book to specifically cover this topic. While the code may not be completely correct, the concepts covered in this video are most definitely relevant, and valuable regardless of the version of Swift that one uses.

Just my two cents! :slight_smile: