Prior knowledge?

Hello,

Do you need any prior knowledge of ( other ) programming/development in order to start this book? I’m kind of confused/lost, having bought this book ( paperback ) and there’s being talked about a git repository, objects/inheritance/methods, etc. from the beginning without further explanation?

Greetings,

Hi @ceramo89, and welcome to the forum!

SwiftUI Apprentice is not a completely-beginner’s programming book. The book assumes that you know some programming in general, in a language such as Javascript.

You don’t have to understand how a git repository works, but you should be able to download the sample code from GitHub, where the git repository is stored.

(I edited this because my original answer was for a different book - sorry!)

1 Like

hi Pieter, we wrote this book for developers who don’t know iOS or Swift, but do know some programming language. As Caroline said, you don’t need git — it’s there because a lot of developers use it. Depending on your level of comfort with uncertainty, you can work through the book and pick up the basics as you go along. Concepts like objects and methods are pretty standard, and you can find a lot of free content from other people.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response @caroline & @audrey , useful information!

Think I might head into ‘Swift Apprentice: Fundamentals’ first, as a starting point, to become familiar with these basic concepts, should be sufficient I assume?

Greetings,

1 Like

that’s a good place to start! about halfway through section III, you’ll know enough to resume SwiftUI Apprentice, which covers many of the remaining Swift topics while writing iOS apps.

2 Likes