Opinion about Flutter Apprentice book

I personally am not that satisfied about the book. It’s mostly copy this, copy that, with a little bit of explanation.

For example in one chapter you have to copy code that includes the FutureBuilder. This isn’t explained at all. You simply refer to the official documentation to read more about it. That’s not why I bought this book. You could at least give a quick explanation of what it basically does.

I prefer to learn from a book, instead of via a video, but in this case I have to admit that I learn a lot more (and better) with Angela Yu’s video course “The Complete 2021 Flutter Development Bootcamp with Dart” on Udemy.

The UIKit Apprentice book is also much better in this regard. That book explains the subjects much better. Less copy this, copy that.

I hope that the next version of the book will be much better, but at this moment I regret I bought it.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, marc_b. I’ll let the authors know to take it into account when they do their next update.

Take care,

Sandra Grauschopf
Book Team Lead

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have been feeling the same way and plan to update my chapters in the next version.

1 Like

One more example that

Unfortunately the rest of the book is all the same. I hope the next version of the book is a lot better (take the UIKit book as an example what it should be) and also that it will be a free upgrade, because now I feel like I thrown away $60.

One extra criticism to add:
Like the UIKit book does, use better project examples. Like a notebook project, in which you can show how to build a list and navigate to a detail edit page from that. Start simple.

In the Flutter book the first example of using a ListView is done by showing nested (!) listviews with advanced properties which (of course …) are hardly explained. Ridiculous.

Hi,

When can we expect a new version of the book? Is this a free upgrade? I hope so, because now it’s not really useful for me.

We expect an updated version to publish fairly soon. If you purchased the digital version of the book, it will be a free upgrade, as is outlined in our terms.