Modern Concurrency: Getting Started, Episode 3: Your First Asynchronous App | Kodeco, the new raywenderlich.com

Learn how to set up the course server, then use async/await and the task view modifier in the LittleJohn app’s SymbolListView.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.kodeco.com/28434449-modern-concurrency-getting-started/lessons/3

I’m currently running Xcode 14.3 and on an Apple Silicon computer running Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261).

When I try to hit my server, after building I see the following:
Console

Web

Is there something else I need to do to fix this error?

Thanks!

Hi Ed! When you see this Server starting... message, check the connection by opening a browser window and loading localhost:8080/hello. There isn’t anything at just localhost:8080.

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

That was it! Thank you!

1 Like

I get the error message below when running the swift run command.

error: terminated(1): /usr/bin/xcrun --sdk macosx --show-sdk-platform-path output:
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item ‘PlatformPath’ from command line tools installation
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item ‘PlatformPath’ in SDK ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk’

To solve the issue, I follow the steps from the following link. By using the command below, I can now run the server successfully.

$ sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

thanks Suppasit! yes, Vapor is very sensitive to Xcode versions. I think there are other comments posted in the Modern Concurrency book’s forum.

Hi. I am getting the following errors when I try to run this. I am running macOS Sonoma 14.2.1, Xcode 15.2, and Swift 5.9.2:

/
video-mcon-materials/CourseServer/.build/checkouts/vapor/Sources/Vapor/HTTP/Server/HTTPServer.swift:380:54: error: reference to captured var ‘application’ in concurrently-executing code
application: application!,
^

/video-mcon-materials/CourseServer/.build/checkouts/vapor/Sources/Vapor/HTTP/Server/HTTPServer.swift:388:46: error: reference to captured var ‘application’ in concurrently-executing code
application: application!,

I get this message whether I do “swift run” from the command line, or use “open Package.swift” and then try to run from within Xcode.

And just in case, the vapor versions:

vapor --version
framework: 4.66.1
toolbox: 18.7.4

hi Kevin, yes the vapor version is usually the culprit! this course is based on our Modern Concurrency book, where this issue was raised and fixed recently. I’ll (soon) update this course’s repo to match, but it’ll be quicker for you to download the book’s updated materials.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ok, thanks for your quick response. I am about to head out for vacation for a week, but will give it a try when I get back.