Kodeco Forums

Introduction to Google Maps API for Android with Kotlin

In this Google Maps API Tutorial for Android you will learn how to retrieve the user's current location, get location updates and search for places.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/230-introduction-to-google-maps-api-for-android-with-kotlin

How can I store more data in marker object ? I can not found any information about HashMap in Kotlin.

Thanks for the question, htad. You can use tags to add data to the marker. See more here: Маркеры  |  Maps SDK for Android  |  Google Developers

Also, HashMap docs for Kotlin are here: HashMap - Kotlin Programming Language

An excellent tutorial - thank you.

how can i add location directions .ie enroute to the destination?

@macsimus Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Thanks for the question, duk0h! It depends on your exact use case, but most likely you’re going to want to look at the Google Maps Directions API. You can find more info at:

It’s also possible to create your own routing on a custom map, if you have sufficient and accurate location data. You can then use the A* algorithm, an extension of Dijkstra’s algorithm.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!