HTC Vive Tutorial for Unity | Ray Wenderlich

Learn how to use the HTC Vive with Unity! Grab and throw objects, shoot lasers and teleport around an area.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/149239/htc-vive-tutorial-unity

Hi I’m following along with this tutorial (It’s perfect for what I’m looking to make) but I have an issue with steamvr_tracketobject could not be found. I believe this is due to the steamVR Unity Plug in (now 2.0) can you tell me will you be releasing an update to the tutorial? Also as a new unity user I’m not able to see how my code should be changed to work with the new update any hints on when needs to be updated on my end? Thanks

@blackdragonbe Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

1 Like

Hi there!

This tutorial is unfortunately outdated as you found out. SteamVR 2.0 has introduced some big changes that break backwards compatibility with their older system. The input system in particular has totally changed.
We will be updating or even rewriting this tutorial as soon as possible.

In the meantime you can use the previous version of SteamVR to follow along with this tutorial:

Thanks!

Thanks for the speedy reply, I figured this was likely to be the outcome. can I have both versions installed at the same time and just load up the older one when I’m running through this tutorial?

That link has a unitypackage file attached to it, you can use that instead of the asset store version the tutorial asks you to import. There shouldn’t be any conflicts as it will be added only to your currently opened project.

You can use it by downloading the unitypackage and double clicking it, that should prompt Unity to import its contents. If that’s not working for some reason you can select Assets > Import package > Custom package… in Unity and select the package that way.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!