Help deploying to VPS with Kubernetes

Hai all!

I’d like to deploy the emojijournalserver to my VPS, it has kubernetes installed with this: https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/kubeadm-dind-cluster

I’ve set up a docker registry on the VPS, I pushed the docker image (emojijournalserver-swift-run) to it, and I was able to install the helm chart successfully.

My problem is: the VPS has some services on different ports, and I’m using apache2 proxy to map different hosts to different ports. (and also handle SSL)

How can I set up a loadbalancer to use different ports than 80 and 443? (totally noob with helm, I can’t figure it out on my own from the docs :confused:)

Any help is welcome, especially if it’s an example chart based on the project in the book!

Thank you in advance,
Adam

@dokun1 Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hey @voodoopark! The way I would go is to look at the Helm chart for your load balancer (apache2 in this case) and check out what kind of NodePort setup it has. This is where you can configure port access into your ingress point.

For example, take a look at the chart for nginx: charts/values.yaml at master · helm/charts · GitHub

If you scroll down, you can see how they configure ports. This maps to environment variables in your application, which you can propagate throughout your application by naming them effectively in your Helm chart.

Let me know if this gets you moving!