Getting back to iOS development

Hello everyone ! I’m recently graduated and thinking to learn iOS development! Would most likely will be learning it for future career in iOS. I’m very confused where to start swift or Objective C. I tried swift a year back and found it interesting but I have heard if you’re going to join a team or company you should go with Objective C ! What’s your go on this guys ? I have almost a year to dedicate and see if it’s worth or not. Also suggestions are welcomed where to start where not to. I live in New Zealand so most probably i’ll be learning it online. Also I have no experience with any other programming language just know basics oh HTML and CSS.

Inder

It’s tricky. Swift is a sensible choice. Since Apple introduced it it’s become a popular and strong choice among developers. All new tutorials on this site use it. It’s considered to be easier for new developers to learn, because it’s generally more expressive and because it’s supported by tools such as playgrounds.

However, many companies continue to develop in Objective C because they already have projects written in Objective C, and because that code is more stable (as Swift is still changing dramatically with new releases, so its code ‘breaks’ more often). As a result some companies are putting off the decision to move to Swift, while others are making the transition (there are some good articles out there on how they’re managing that transition).

I would say this: because Swift is so new, and there’s so much material for Objective C material (in terms of ‘how do I make my iPhone do this’) online, it can be very helpful to learn how to read Objective C code, and actually coding in it will help you learn faster.

Try them both. Stick with whichever one you learn fastest in. If you’re interested in Swift now, and it keeps you enthusiastic, stick with it. Avoiding frustration will help keep you motivated. If you feel confident, and if at that time companies want the other one, try the other one again; it’ll widen your experience.