[further study] about flutter development

Hi, I finally finished everything, taking notes on the book, run the code, do all the challenges, it is a long journey actually. If it is a simple mere reading, the book is not very long. Most of the time is on thinking about how it works and write testing code.

I probably will do some flutter development. It looks cool to me to write some apps that can work on mobile or web. I see some courses will teach Flutter and Dart together but I think that it would be good to have some Dart foundation first and that’s the reason I persist on learning from the two books.

Anyone else has some sharing on good books or courses on Flutter development? Or just learning here directly: Learn? The page has resource from beginner, intermediate to advanced. Really so much to learn here… Not to say advance programming concept like algorithm and data structure, design pattern etc… Feeling a bit overwhelming and scary when I thinking these. Hope that I will not lose my motivation on learning in later future.

1 Like

I’m glad you persisted through the two Dart books. Thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. They’ll help to make the books better for future learners.

I highly recommend just starting an app that you want to make. Follow these simple steps:

1. Think of an app idea. Preferably something that you want to use yourself.
  2. Sketch out on paper what the different screens of your app should look like. Draw arrows from the buttons to where they go.
  3. Get rid of every feature you possibly can until you have the simplest possible app that still does something. (This is known as the MVP - Minimum Viable Product). (By “get rid of”, I mean save them for version 2.0.)
  4. Create a new project.
  5. Do the next thing. If you don’t know how to do the next thing, google it or ask ChatGPT.
  6. Try to run what you have so far.
  7. Track down the bug, which will also probably require Google and/or ChatGPT.
  8. Go to step 5.
  9. Publish your app, which will also require Google and/or ChatGPT.

By following that process, you will learn a ton, more than any book will teach you.

If you prefer the more guided approach in book form, though, you can also check out Flutter Apprentice and Real-World Flutter by Tutorials.

I’d say at this point don’t worry about data structures, algorithms or design patterns. I think everybody needs a good dose of messy coding before they can really appreciate the value of those other things.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind advices! I love your recommendation of making a MVP first.

1 Like