Chapter 9 - Fatal error: Unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value

Input: xcode 12.0. UIKIt Apprentice First Edition
I finished a few steps on Chapter 9 where override func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) โ†’ UITableViewCell {} were update with

let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCell(
   withIdentifier: "ChecklistItem", 
   for: indexPath)

// Add the following code
 let label = cell.viewWithTag(1000) as! UILabel

When I run my code I got an error message : Checklists/ChecklistViewController.swift:32: Fatal error: Unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value
2022-02-11 16:47:52.706024+0100 Checklists[11880:1475402] Checklists/ChecklistViewController.swift:32: Fatal error: Unexpectedly found nil while unwrapping an Optional value
But Iโ€™m bot sure how to unwrap the label variable correctly. How is it possible to solve?

Generally, this happens if you didnโ€™t get the table cell when you dequeued it or if you set the tag for the incorrectly for the label. So check that you set the cell identifier correctly and/or that you set the tag correctly and saved the tag value.

If both of the above are correct and the issue still persists, then please upload a ZIP archive of your project so that I (or somebody else) can take a look at the project to see what is going on.

1 Like

Thanks, Fahim! Yes, the problem was with the Identifier. I used number 100 instead of 1000 and thatโ€™s why it failed.