Chapter 13 - Question: How do you create a .watchface file?

In Chapter 13 of the book we learn how to share a Watch face. That is awesome… but, how can we create our own .watchface? The one in the chapter is already provided in the project and there are no hints or links as to how someone can create this kind of file. Cheers, -j

As in create a watch face from scratch?

No… how to create the file that encapsulates the watch face and complications configuration, i.e. a .watchface file.

The only way I have come across is to get it from the Watch App in the iOS device and share the face (e.g. by email - which will have a .watchface file attached).

1. On iOS, open the Apple Watch app, and create a watch face that you want to create a file for
  2. Select the watch face from the face gallery
  3. Click the share button in the upper-right corner

The resulting .watchface file contains information about the watch face, including its configuration, color, and its complications.

I wonder if there is another way to create the file without having to do it like this.

@gargoyle please see .watchface question above

I’m not sure I understand the question. Chapter 13 shows how to share the .watchface file in multiple ways. If you’re asking if there’s a way for you to manually create a watch face file from scratch, not using the iOS or watchOS device…not that I’m aware of.

1 Like