Can't drag and drop controls directly onto Content View

I’m running version 15.0.1 Xcode and iOS 17.0 .

Whenever I try to drag a textbox or button onto the Content View, there’s no “blue line” that indicates where you can place any control. I’ve tried to drag different controls onto the Content View and none of them are placed on that view.
I recall, in the past, that this function allowed you to place controls on Content View and a blue line appeared to show you where you were placing each control. Why did it change?

@gdelarosa @robertomachorro May I please ask for your help re: @elearner 's question here. Thank you!

Hi @elearner! It’s true that in earlier versions of Xcode, when dragging a control onto the Content View, a blue line would appear to indicate where you could place it. However, this functionality has been removed in Xcode 15.0.1 and later versions.

Instead of the blue line, you can try these two options to place controls on the Content View:

1. Drag and drop with alignment guides:

• Drag the control from the object library or the Inspector.
  • As you hover over the Content View, yellow alignment guides will appear to help you position the control precisely. These guides indicate the edges and center of the view and other controls.
  • Release the mouse button when the control is positioned where you want it.

2. Use the Attributes Inspector:

• Drag the control from the object library or the Inspector onto the Content View.
  • It will be placed at the center of the view by default.
  • Open the Attributes Inspector for the control.
  • Use the Frame section to adjust the position and size of the control using numerical values.

Here are some additional things to keep in mind:

• Ensure you are dragging the control onto the Content View itself, not the background of the interface builder.
  • If you encounter any issues with dragging and dropping, try restarting Xcode.

I understand the frustration of encountering changes in the software you are learning. I hope you are able to find a suitable workaround and or solution. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as well.

Best,
Gina

1 Like

Gina, Thanks for your response.

I guess the title of my Post isn’t accurate. It appears I’m using the wrong terminology.
What I’ve realized is that I was talking about “Content View” when what I really meant was the “Canvas” that displays a preview of the execution of the code that’s in Content View

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Gary