Can SKNode and SKSpriteNode work together ....?

I am having a difficult time with collision detection. As an example, let’s use the uberjumper as our environment. Works great … in learning I am trying to keep the unknown variables low. To that end - I wanted to take that and add falling objects from the top to the bottom of the screen. I created my object as an SKNode - much like the ‘player’ in the game and then gave it physicsbody? parameters so that it is affected by gravity etc…

The object 'misses ’ the platforms and collides with the player, but it cannot move past the stars of the game…

I cannot get the falling object to MISS the stars. Also, how can I move the player object?
I register the hit with Collisionetc.player & Collisionetc.fallingobject - and I added the player.position = CGPoint(new x/y) to simulate a hit and a bump, the code actually executes via breakpoint, but the player doesn’t actually move…

I am thinking it is a SKNode vs SKSpriteNode …?

I have tried start.zPosition and zPostion with the player/enemy and changing their respective levels. I have changed the ‘collisionBitMask’ for the object to a different value.

Any guide lines? Collisions is difficult with 3 or more objects to manage…

Could you post your code for collision detection?

Are you logging each time a different type of collision is detected, such as one log for player + object vs a different log for object vs platform?

I am logging each ‘collision’. I started from scratch last night as a test and will post my code. It was a fun exercise, but I still cannot get the ‘player’ to react to the collision.

Code Bits:

func didBeginContact(contact: SKPhysicsContact) {

var firstBody: SKPhysicsBody
    var secondBody: SKPhysicsBody

if contact.bodyA.categoryBitMask < contact.bodyB.categoryBitMask {
        firstBody = contact.bodyA
        secondBody = contact.bodyB

}else {
        firstBody = contact.bodyB
        secondBody = contact.bodyA
    }
    bounceCount = bounceCount + 1 // I used the bounceCount to 'spawn' enemies
    if ((firstBody.categoryBitMask & CollisionCategoryBitmask.Player != 0) && (secondBody.categoryBitMask & CollisionCategoryBitmask.Enemy != 0)) {

let whichNode = (contact.bodyA.node != player ) ? contact.bodyA.node : contact.bodyB.node
        let other = whichNode! as SKNode

print("Other Name: \(other.name)")

if other.name == "NODE_ENEMY" {

print("Contact: Enemy")

self.collisionWithEnemy(player)

} else if other.name == "NODE_PLATFORM" {

/* platform in this case is just the bottom of the 'screen'  SKPhysicsBody(rectangleOfSize: CGSize(width:size.width, height: 8.0)) */

print("Contact: Platform")

self.collisionWithPlatform(player)
        }
    }
}

This code works fine… I log the collision, the resulting func does get called:

func collisionWithPlatform(player: SKNode) ->Bool {
if player.physicsBody?.velocity.dy < 0 { // dy < 0, if falling then…

player.physicsBody?.velocity = CGVector(dx: player.physicsBody!.velocity.dx, dy: 250.0) // bounce and bounce
        }
    return false
}

func collisionWithEnemy(player: SKNode) {

player.position = CGPoint(x: 20.0, y: player.position.y)
    // I want the 'player' to move to the 'left', but stay in the same 'y-plane' - it should work...

}

Ironically, the ‘player’ bounces fine which is a result of the func collisionWithPlatform.

Any ideas? I can post more, but the create player and enemy are functionally identical as well as the stars.

Stars aside, if I can figure out why the player doesn’t move after collision with the enemy, I think I can get the enemy to move past the stars. I think they might be related.

Thanks!

Neil

P.S., Logs:

Added Toaster // enemy
RandomEnemyPlaceX < 100 210.0
Other Name: nil // no contact
Other Name: Optional(“NODE_PLATFORM”) //bounce
Other Name: Optional(“NODE_ENEMY”) // toaster
Other Name: Optional(“NODE_PLATFORM”) // bounce

So the player does collide with the platform and even bounces off of it. So what isnt working as expected?

Yup… the player bounces off the platform - but the enemy does not… I thought it would be easy to create more than one collision, but turns out, that isn’t true.

IT seems that I can have a effect for collision but only in the ‘y’ direction.

Code snippet:

func collisionWithEnemy(player: SKNode) → Bool{

player.physicsBody?.velocity = CGVector(dx: (player.physicsBody!.velocity.dx - 100.0), dy: 300.0)  // this give the 'player a boost in the 'y' plane, but the 'x' plane is unaffected. 

}

Any ideas?