Kodeco Forums

Building a Portal App in ARKit: Materials and Lighting

Learn how to add materials and lighting effects to your AR portal app with the final tutorial in this series taken from our book, ARKIt by Tutorials!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/5524-building-a-portal-app-in-arkit-materials-and-lighting

I’m looking forward to reading this in the book, and I will be expanding on what you’ve explored here by attempting to build a portal into a 360 video sphere. The plan is to place the doorway in the middle of the sphere, and cull the outer shell, but I’m wondering how to hide the inside of the sphere from view outside the bounds of the doorway. Any tips?

@namrata.bandekar Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

@leeprobert I think to do this you might need to use Unity with ARKit instead of the SceneKit framework. I haven’t played around with that yet but I have seen a few examples where they use Unity to achieve this.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!