Bridging the gap between app idea and code

Hi, when you are writing a new app, is there a step between having the app idea and beginning to write code? I feel like there must be some planning method for beginners/intermediate that would help before writing code.

An an example, in reading tutorials on design patterns and such, I can understand conceptually what a design pattern is, and understand the use case that was used in the tutorial to demonstrate it… but if I had a high level app idea, I wouldn’t know how to take that idea and get it into code, with design patterns and all of the good OOP stuff. Many tutorials jump right into the IDE, and I am not experienced enough to do that yet. I think that I would benefit by learning about some intermediate planning step/process/method to lay things out before I begin coding. I haven’t taken CS courses, so maybe I would have been taught there?

Are you aware of any resources that could help me bridge this gap in my knowledge/experience?

Thanks,
Rich

1 Like

There are many steps in between, which ones you take (or skip) depend on you (your team, employer, etc).

If you are just starting out, I recommend you sketch out your screens. I like paper/pencil, but you can use many software design apps out there, such as Figma. Draw out all your screens, get a feel for the flow of your application. This will organize a lot of things in your head and will save you headaches during development. Have other people go through the application via your designs, what makes sense to you, may not to others.

3 Likes

It turns out that what I was looking for here is called the Booch method for OO design and analysis.

I picked up his book, though I’m not sure that I need to read it cover to cover (at almost 700 pages, it’s a bit daunting!). I am hoping that I can find a more concise tutorial for applying to iOS development.

1 Like

I appreciate you sharing that information. It definitely enhances our understanding of the topic.

Thank you for sharing your insights! Your input adds great value to our discussion.