Animation Challenge Chapter 1

Where do you configure the animations for the challenge at the end of the chapter? I cannot find the answer in the solution folder provided.

@paradox927 Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

I see the add an action to the earth object and another one to the moon

and this is working. But when I do the same in a new project is not working so I think there is something more you have to do to get the animation…

Ok I figured it out, here are the steps:

1. Make sure the Scene Graph View is showing (click the left panel icon next to the camera picker at the bottom of the scene)

2. Drag and drop the moon into the sun, to make it a child node

3. Make sure the panel at the bottom is showing which has tabs for Shaders and Actions. If it isn’t then drag up from the bottom of the scene

4. Drag and drop RotateByAxisAngle from the Library into the actions tab for the earth

5. Set axis to x:0, y:1, z:0

6. Set angle to 1

7. Drag another RotateByAxisAngle from the Library into the actions tab for the moon

8. Set axis to x:0, y:1, z:0

9. Set angle to 1

For some reason all the action axis and angles are set to 0 in the challenge project, but it must be some sort of caching issue because the actions break as soon as you try to edit them.

4 Likes

Thank you very much :]

1 Like

@chriscalifornia Thank you for sharing your solution - much appreciated! :]

Thank you everybody for all of your help!

hi, I am still fundamentally lost on this one. is there an image (series of images) somewhere. I’ve moved things left, right and centre… on top of the earth (both image and word)… base of screen… everywhere, and nothing happens. what is the “actions tab”? the Xcode search doesn’t even give me a clue. I’m stuck and refuse to go further without knowing how to do what is “apparently” a basic instruction.

can someone please take a screen shot of where I am supposed to drag and drop the RotateByAxisAngle to… also, which one is it, there seem to be 2.

thanks, and please help before I lose all my hair.

zoran

1 Like

additionally I can’t seem to find “RotateByAxisAngle” in the library… closest is “RotateToAxisAngleAction”. I’m on the latest Xcode with swift 5. just purchased this book, now I’m worried that none of the tutorials will work properly.

1 Like

@zoran Do you still have issues with this?

strange how the challenge project works with those values set to zeroes…

1 Like