Kodeco Forums

Adaptive UI in Android Tutorial

Learn how to use layouts to create apps that look great across many different form-factors of Android devices in this adaptive UI in Android tutorial.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/1429-adaptive-ui-in-android-tutorial

Hey, thanks for the tutorial.

In the tutorial, you seem to flip between calling the layout folder either res/layout-sw400dp or res/layout-w400dp. Is the sw400dp just a typo as it would mean something different than just w400dp?

I’m having difficultly in trying to figure out how I should organize my layout files. From your example, what if you had a device that is greater than 500dp in portrait mode? What would be the be folder setup to ensure you have the over-under layout for portrait mode and side-by-side layout for landscape mode on this device?

Thanks for the tutorial. It helped no end and makes the transition to the official Android documentation, on the subject, a little easier. Great initial motivation of the subject matter.

Thank you so much James! This tutorial help me a lots! Simple and easy to understand!

SupportMapFragment in fragment_info.xml is making the emulator crash.

Some updates…

• To use SupportMapFragment.getMap() you must use

com.google.android.gms:play-services:7.8.0

and not a newer version. (Current newest is 9.8.0, but getMap() will not work

• To not have a cast error for

mapFragment = ((SupportMapFragment) getChildFragmentManager().findFragmentById(R.id.map));

in InfoFragment.java, you must import

import android.support.v4.app.Fragment;

If you import android.app.Fragment the app will crash on startup.

• In order to zoom to the location on the map as shown in the image, loadMap of InfoFragment.java needs to be:

private void loadMap(GoogleMap googleMap) {
if (googleMap != null) {
// Use green marker icon
BitmapDescriptor defaultMarker = BitmapDescriptorFactory.defaultMarker(BitmapDescriptorFactory.HUE_AZURE);
// listingPosition is a LatLng point
LatLng sceneryPosition = new LatLng(44.22438242, 6.944561);
// Create the marker on the fragment
mapFragment.getMap().addMarker(new MarkerOptions()
.position(sceneryPosition)
.icon(defaultMarker));
CameraPosition cameraPosition = new CameraPosition.Builder().target(sceneryPosition).zoom(10.0f).build();
CameraUpdate cameraUpdate = CameraUpdateFactory.newCameraPosition(cameraPosition);
mapFragment.getMap().moveCamera(cameraUpdate);
}
}

Hey, I couldn’t find New/Scaled drawable when right-clicking res/drawable. I am using Android Studio 2.2 and I have installed Android drawable importer too.