About the Push Notifications by Tutorials category

This is the official forum category for our book, Push Notifications by Tutorials, available here: https://store.raywenderlich.com/products/push-notifications-by-tutorials

Awww … just bought the machine learning book and now there’s a bundle :tired_face:

If they book would use Plain php to handle the backend i would buy it in a heartbeat
Why always use 3th party services that require the developer to pay lots of money…?
It’s perfectly possible to use only php since Apple handles the dellivery on the device

The book uses Vapor (server side swift), which is free, for the web service to store device tokens. It then uses PHP for sending push notifications. There is no dependency on any third party vendor nor any cost associated with the server side software.

1 Like

I wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with the PushNotifications as mentioned in chapter 5 in the “Sending a Push” and available at GitHub - onmyway133/PushNotifications: 🐉 A macOS, Linux, Windows app to test push notifications on iOS and Android

When I run this on my local machine, I see no content on the web page as shown in the sample screen shots. In fact the page is completely blank. Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you solved whatever might be causing the problem?

I setup my local web server according to this article on Apple discussions:
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-13841

I can run the html and PHP files test pages in my “Sites” folder.

The entire contents from the Git repro are located in my “Sites” folder at this path:
/Users//Sites/push

I made no modifications to the files from the Git repro and just dropped the files in this folder.

Thanks in advance for any response.

HI,

The application you linked to (PushNotifications) is a Mac app that you download and open from your filesystem like any other application. You can find the latest version here:

(Download the PushNotifications-VERSION-mac.zip file)

This app sends push notifications to your device, with no additional servers, PHP and HTML needed. That’s all you need for chapter 5.

Marinbenc,
Thanks very much for your response.

I don’t know why I got the idea this was a web-app. DOH!

Thanks for helping me get my perspective straightened out! The app works as expected.

Sincerely