Why do all posts get locked after 6 months?

Apologies if this has been asked before – I’ve searched around for a while and haven’t seen any discussion.

Many, many of the tutorials on this website have a comment by mods below them: “This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!

I get why there wouldn’t be officially supported comments after 6 months, but why lock the discussion for everyone else? Seems like this prevents a lot of useful discussion from happening. And it’s the worst when I see an incorrect comment that has been cemented into history & I can’t reply to it.

Anyone have insight into why this is? Again, apologies if I’m missing something obvious. This has been bothering me for ages but I’ve never taken the time to write a post.

/u/shogunkaramazov

@holmeslice28 This is our policy regarding comments for old tutorials. We are doing our best to update all tutorials on a regular basis, so old comments get replaced anyway. Thank you!

Any chance of this changing? Lots of those old tutorials are still useful, and don’t need to be updated beyond a comment (‘for swift 5, just replace X with Y’).

I think it would improve the experience dramatically… there’s been many times over the years I’ve found something helpful & tried to comment, only to see it locked.

For example – I just spent around 4 hours fiddling with the collection view built in this tutorial: https://www.raywenderlich.com/1702-uicollectionview-custom-layout-tutorial-a-spinning-wheel . It’s a wheel view, and I was trying to adapt it to spin clockwise instead of CC. Would love to leave a comment with the 5 lines of code this took to work (and increase the value of the tutorial, I think).

Thanks for your response!

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.