Kodeco Forums

Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial: Painting With Render Targets

In this Unreal Engine 4 tutorial, you will learn how to paint various textures onto meshes using materials and render targets.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/5246-unreal-engine-4-tutorial-painting-with-render-targets

Hi, Tommy!

I loved how well your tutorial was documented. I am trying to have multiple users write to the render target simultaneously by linetracing. Do you know I might be able to do that?

They can all have the same brush parameters (size etc.) One solution is to have a brush texture for each user but since I have 99 players in my game, I am also looking for a solution that is more efficient.

Thanks Karan!

If you’re looking to have unique parameters (brush size, texture) for each user, I would replicate each hit location along with the parameters. The texture can just be an index in an array of brush textures.

Hey there Tommy.
I don’t have any experience with Blueprint, though I got some with the material editor and cascade. I’m getting stuck really early on in the blueprint part. That “Set” node, I just can’t find it. I’m on Unreal 4.21 though.

EDIT: So I managed to understand it by opening the completed project. I had to create a variable called RenderTarget in the left column menu in order for the Set Render Target thing to appear. I thought it was an actual function that I couldn’t find at first.

@dabitto Really glad you sorted it out. Cheers! :]

Thanks for the tutorial Tommy! It is very useful and understandable.

Do you know how to change the distance from which you can write on the canvas? I’m trying to make a very large canvas from which you can write farther than you can.

Thanks in advance.

@tommytran Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!