Kodeco Forums

Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial for Beginners

In this Unreal Engine tutorial, you will be guided through installing the engine, navigating the interface and creating your first game object.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/771-unreal-engine-4-tutorial-for-beginners-getting-started

i m interested in the learning everything about unreal engine. i did start learning the basics last year and checked out the tutorials available on their website but couldn’t complete it after i got stuck at some point, couldn’t get any answer and eventually stopped. also i noticed that with certain templates available, all is left to learn is the logic portion, which basically involves connecting nodes along with other important tasks, such as importing fbx files or stuff like that. i cannot understand where i should start learning everything about unreal engine. i have gone through 3 or 4 tutorials available on their sites. but i don’t seem to gain any knowledge from it. game designing is also an important part of this and i want to learn this as well. i did come across people using softwares such as photoshop, blender or quixel suite for this.
i want to pursue it as my career but don’t know how to do it. what kind of jobs can i apply for if i master unreal engine? please i need some tips and reference material that can actually add something to my knowledge.
please accept my apologies if i m being too vague or if my reply is not well-written.

Please, continue writing tutorials! I’m subscribing you!

Please continue to write Unreal tutorials. It is an amazing and under-represented engine

Great tutorial! Would 100% love to learn more! Thanks.

Plzz help me!!! I am very desperate about UE4 !! But when i started epic launcher error came some what 0x0000007b on my windows pc…i have tried eveything but none worked!!!My pc specs are too high but still the error…

It seems like that is a common error caused by missing or corrupt dependencies. Try the solutions posted here.

If all those fail, you can try reformatting.

I’ve enjoyed the unity tutorials on here, but I think UE4 is so much better. I’d love to see more from you.

Excellent tutorial! Would love to see more Unreal Engine 4 Content from you! Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Great introductory tutorial.
Short and simple enough to get started and not be intimidated by
as well as getting into blueprints and having a small finished project at the end.
was able to work through it in an hour or less taking my time.
looking forward to more.

Tutorial is nice and worked.
I wish every tut for this way overcomplicated engine could be like this.

As soon as it gets deeper (well - let’s think of a simple orbital camera that is “pinned” to a SpringArm that should just do simple Turntable things to an object in the middle) you’re totally lost. Even the forum of Epic’s “overEngine” has no help if you want to learn something. You just get little pieces with no sense at all.

An example:

Asking where to get nodes like this thing that has “Add pin” on the left and a “+” in the middle a (mathfunction or whatever) isn’t explained. Nowhere. Try to find it - you’ll get NOTHING via Google, Epic, Forum. You have to figure out everything by yourself and that can take days for a node, weeks for a simple function and years to get little things right. Horrible.

I really don’t know for what kind of people this engine is but i know: Everyone who gets perfect results with this is a genius. Somehow “Godlike”. You’ll need to be gifted - that’s for sure cause no one ever will explain this Engine to you so that you can understand it.

As i said there should be more people that write down tutorials in the way you can understand how this freakshow of software works. Unfortunately there are thousands of nodes and tons of updates every year so you will have a lot of problems to keep up.

If you didn’t grow up with the first versions of this Engine (UDK, etc.) - don’t even think about getting this in your head in the next 10 years. You will fail because of the lack of good tutorials.

I am not frustrated - I am not frustrated - I am not frustrated - …

Cheers,
:wink: André

More Unreal Engine text-based tutorials, please! And thank you for writing this! This tutorial was the most helpful of any I’ve gone through so far!

Ha ha ha, I added an Offset instead of a Rotation and with a z of 1.0 my Banana took off into space! Love this, can’t wait to go through the rest!

This tutorial is more than six months old, so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]