SwiftUI Problem

I am running macOS 10.15.3 on a late 2013 iMac and Xcode 11.4.1. When I try to run the Apple tutorial on SwiftUI (the Hello World code) I cannot get the preview to appear. When I click on the resume button on the canvas the little spinning gear appears and then the canvas collapses. I then re-display the canvas and try again with the same result. I am guessing that I have something set wrong in Xcode but I have no idea what (I have played around with the preferences to no avail). Anybody, What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Hi @jemcder, welcome to the forum community! Is your app’s deployment target set to iOS 13 or later?

I’m nowhere near that far along in iOS. I’m just trying to learn now at 82 (today’s my birthday!).

Hi @jemcder,
That’s quite interesting, it is amazing to see your passion about learning.

When you press the resume button on the canvas, that runs your code, it is not required to see a preview. The preview is setup automatically. Since you are not getting the preview could indicate that your iMac is a bit old and unable to compile and run the preview as required.

There could be other issues, but trouble shooting those might need more details.

Cheers,

Belated Happy Birthday!

1 Like

An addendum to the problem. Instead of the preview appearing on the canvas, the display appears on the simulator (very slowly). I don’t want it to display on the simulator, I want the preview from SwiftUI on the canvas. What am I doing wrong?

@jemcder Do you still have issues with this?

Yes I do. As a result of this problem and no solution I have about given up on Xcode. Do you have any suggestions?

@jemcder Are you still having issues with this?