SwiftUI and MacOS

Hi @raywenderlich and Hi everybody

just question:

Since SwiftUI greatly facilitates development in the Apple environment is it now possible to have a series of tutorials explaining the development for MacOS? a series of tutorials dedicated to the MacOS environment which, as in the case of iOS, show how to develop different kinds of applications and the various frameworks. it is true that the mobile environment is more in demand, but as has already been said in this tutorial, the fact that there are few tutorials and moreover dated, is a deterrent and a block to creativity.

What do you think Ray? You could be the first in this regard and attract another slice of users.

4 Likes

Hi @Rufy,
There were some discussions on adding MacOS development, and now with SwiftUI which will make things even better, I am sure there will be tutorials coming soon.

@raywenderlich maybe you could add to this when you get a chance

cheers,

Jayant

I was recently looking for info on a Xcode MasOS project, too !
Am I right that MacOS is for iMac, and PowerBook Max’s ? IDK ?
I found one tutorial one your site Ray, it was old and short :disappointed: and didn’t cover building an app.

We are actually working on a book that covers a lot about this topic: https://store.raywenderlich.com/products/catalyst-by-tutorials

But I think we can do even more here, so thanks for the idea! :]

2 Likes

macOS Development for Beginners: part 1, 2, & 3
Feb 22, 2017
Goes through building an egg timer and setting up a MacOS app using Xcode
i know it’s old, it is the one I was referring to — Not so short it would seem .
Searching for MacOS - brings up quite a few Older Tutorials.

Enough said I’d like to see new tuts and videos too, as well as :upside_down_face:. !!!
Oh about books, I’m wary of spending more money to buy one, many :blush:
? are your ebooks updated in the future too with new Swift versions ?

the book about catalyst it’s a great idea. but the problem about catalyst is that it is a framework to make porting from iOS to macOS. or create app that works both iOS and macOS.

I think that some tutorial about the creation of apps in native macOS using swiftUI will be great. As said, there aren’t updated tutorial on web and what there are, they are not sufficient. don’t explore all macOS development.

1 Like

I actually am in doubt myself. Learn AppKit, use catalyst or SwiftUI?

Hi @mikeneirinck,
Knowing UIKit will help, you can use Catalyst (UIKit + iPad App) → Mac OSX App
Then you can try your hand at SwiftUI because that will give you the ability to target all Apple platforms with more or less the same code base. A lot of companies will start the adoption slower than others because they have other priorities and issues. However if you are making your own apps, you can jump on ahead with SwiftUI, which will run on the latest OS only.

cheers,

I know you can but is SwiftUI mature enough? I see several ways to pull the same off nowadays

hi @mikeneirinck,
this is my opinion and others may have a different point of view and opinion. Yes while there are several ways to achieve the same, if you are looking at bettering your portfolio for a job or progressing in that way then you need to look at what the organisations are looking for. Here in Australia there are two camps, one is entirely native while the other is heavy on ReactNative.

The advantage that I see with SwiftUI is that it is from Apple and that it also provides an easy to use React like glue. However it is not as yet stable, leave alone mature to be used commercially. However, I can build a lot of my UI in SwiftUI and test them instead of creating them in some wireframing tool.

cheers,

Landing a job here would point towards js frameworks as ReactNative at the moment. As Facebook once pulled the plug out of Parse I am pretty skeptical. I actually just wrote a partial course on js. Having to combine RN with native does not help building confidence.

If that works for you in your geography, then that is what you should spend time on. 10 years ago when a lot of developers were looking at jumping onto the Apple bandwagon of apps, there were so many options and everyone took a personal route that worked for them. 10 years later, we have a similar situation, and the same thing is applicable, whatever works.

cheers,

I don’t know if I can but
(@rwenderlich, delete the post as well, if it violates the regulation)
What do you think about this book?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.