Submitting Both A Paid and Monetized App

Hello everybody,

You know I read several articles on submitting an app as a monetized one, or as a paid, I even have one app on the app store already. However, I never really understood how to post an app that is both a free app (with ads) and a paid app (more content and ad free).

Now, I image this is easy, you simply submit two separate apps to the app store, they look almost exactly the same but one is paid and the other free however I have been wrong about these things before. So, I am just double checking as I put on the finished touches,

how do you really do it? What is the best practice for submitting both a free/paid app?

I am tempted to put out my paid one first since it is finished and I need to add ads to my free one.

I guess I am worried about getting into trouble submitting two separate apps that are the same, only slightly different. Donā€™t they frown on apps being too similar in the App store? Like when they said ā€œno more ā€˜flappy birdā€™ appsā€. I know Iā€™m being overly cautious, this is my first time doing it and Iā€™m looking for best practices

Another option is to release the free app with an option to ā€œRemove Ads and access additional content.ā€ That way itā€™s just 1 app on the store and you get both options.