Regarding Modules

Hi All,
Regarding Modules referenced on Page 205 in Chapter 6. The book mentions modules in the note referenced below about selecting ImageTransformer as the custom class defined for the image attribute in my Core Data model. Seems to me there is more here than meets the eye! This leads me to think about reusable components, libraries, and advanced code management techniques. Is there some reference you can point me to to better understand how and when I might use modules to create reuse and modularity in my application development in Xcode?

Best Regards
Thomas

“Note: When referencing code from your model files, just like in Xib and Storyboard files, you’ll need to specify a module (UnCloudNotes or Current Product Module depending on what your drop down provides) to allow the class loader to find the exact code you want to attach.”

Excerpt From: By Pietro Rea. “Core Data by Tutorials.” iBooks.

@casademora Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hi,

Modules, as referenced in chapter 6, refer specially to the modules as defined by LLVM and the Swift core team. You can see more technical details about them in the LLVM modules documentation.

The reason Modules were pointed out in the chapter was because during my initial authoring, and subsequent updates, the ImageTransformer was not being loaded by the Core Data framework without specifying the module specifically.

However, I think to answer your question more specifically, I think you are referring to the potential reusability of the core data code example. That is an extremely wide open topic, as you suggested, but I have a couple of links that I hope can help with your research.

Brice Pollock is a former colleague of mine, and I helped with the first implementations of this module architecture.

This is a list of various architectures and ways to split up the components in your application to suit various design goals.

Relating to modules more specially, my advice is that you should start with a single application bundle first, and keep your code organized. Then as you start either making more apps using the same code, or perhaps moving the same app to a separate but related platform (ie. going from iOS to macOS) then create a separate framework build target where your common code lives.

I hope this helps,
Saul

Sure does, thanks for responding as well on Sunday evening. Yes, I am moving through the examples, and do not have too much code at this point. I am an experienced java developer. I appreciate your response, which sure does validate my thinking.

Thomas

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.