React native vs Native mobile apps

We are evaluating different options for our upcoming new Mobile product. Any recommendations with pros and cons with Native vs React native would be great!

Hi @chakri, going the native route with iOS and Android has it’s benefits like having direct access to native APIs & 3rd party libraries, using languages like Swift and Java can make the logic of your app more predictable because they are strongly typed languages, easily using native UI within the specific platform, and lastly, Apple and Google will always update their languages, APIs, platforms, etc. and provide guides with those updates.

Some pros with React Native are, one platform for both iOS and android apps and it’s less time consuming vs having to develop with Swift on Xcode and Java on Android Studio.

I’d recommend doing more research on this topic and ultimately going with what you feel is best. Thank you for your question!

Gina

Hi @gdelarosa, Thank you very much! I agree with you on going with native. Based on my research, any framework has dependency on vendors implementation for latest features. Also you need to have native skill as well for custom work. Integrating with third party libs and community support also things to consider. Appreciate your response Gina!

There’s a car insurance company that runs exclusively on React Native (ROOT car insurance to be specific), and they have had 0 issues.

Becaaauuuseeee you can’t think the same.

You can’t have the exact same UX, animations, or sometimes even features (which sucks, but … happens)

However, if you end goal is to launch on both platforms eventually, and without using multiple devs, then React Native is definitely a great bet. Or if you app is simple enough to handle simple UI and UX.

If you’re like IG or Facebook (although portions of their apps are in RN), you still need to be able to talk back and forth

WHICH, THANKFULLY, you can.

EVEN IF YOU DO go React Native, you still need to communicate with the Swift/Java layer anyways. Only about 70-90% of your code is handled by RN. Everything else needs to be done in Swift/Java.

It’s obviously a little annoying / cumbersome, but it’s usually just platform specific nuances.

Thanks @personalcompass!

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.