Mapping Out My App

Been going thru the iOS Apprentice. It’s great, my head is exploding a bit, but I’ll get there. I have an app to do and its clear I need to map it out even more carefully than I had imagined. I’ve been using OmniGraffle with some Stencils. I’m wondering what was used to make the images in the book - the ones with pictures of an iPhone in them… and arrows indicating what connects to where, and so on?
Is there something people really like for this?
TIA, Lenny

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the book. As far as the graphics go, I don’t think you need to worry too much about what everybody else uses if you’re thinking in terms of “standards” :slight_smile: I’d suggest you go with what works best for your own needs.

OmniGraffle is great. In the early days of iOS development, I used it to do prototypes for clients so that they could see what an app looked like before it was developed. I’ve also used Adobe Fireworks (but that’s no longer in development) since that used to give you a way to link one screen to another and put up a set of HTML pages on a web site so that the client could navigate through the design.

I don’t know about the specific images you reference in the book since some of the images were done by Matthijs and some by me. But I used SnagIt to do the arrows and some other overlays on various images. Again, a great program but if your aim is prototyping, not sure if it would meet your requirements.

At the moment, for prototyping, the apps I can think off off the top of my head would be:

1. OmniGraffle - you can get templates from Graffletopia for creating iOS screens.
  2. Affinity Illustrator - it has a prototyping feature and again, you can get sets of UI elements but I forget from where you can get them.
  3. Photoshop - there used to be many prototyping element sets for iOS for Photoshop some years ago. There probably still are - I don’t know for sure since I have not used Photoshop in ages.
  4. Adobe Illustrator - the same as Photoshop above.

The cheapest options probably are #1 and #2 :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.