Is it better to directly learn data structures and algorithms and implement them in a programming language that we will use extensively in our project?

Hello, I can say now finally! Indeed I have been working on a mobile application project for a few months which will use dart and flutter and I needed a book on data structures and algorithms with Dart and there you have just published it. Thank you and congratulations for that. However I had already started to study the book Grokking Algorithms with examples in Python which is also very pleasant to read and understand.
Reading the examples in Python I try to translate them into Dart…
The advice I ask is this: should I stop learning the Grokking Algorithms book and go to Data Structures & Algorithms in Dart since my end goal is to understand data structures and algorithms and implement them cleanly in Dart?
NB : My project Business Logic use Dart and Flutter

1 Like

I haven’t actually read Grokking Algorithms, but just by looking at the table of contents, I can see that there is quite a bit in that book that you won’t find in Data Structures and Algorithms in Dart (DSAD). I’d say if you are enjoying it, then keep reading it. Even the exercise of converting Python to Dart can be a good learning experience. That said, there is also a lot of content in DSAD that you won’t find in Grokking Algorithms, most notably data structures.

Ok I understand. I stop learning the Grokking Algorithms book for the moment and go to Data Structures & Algorithms in Dart since my end goal is to understand data structures and algorithms and implement them cleanly in Dart. Thank you for your reply :wink:

1 Like

Hi @seydina, hope your learning journey is going well! :mechanical_arm:
Have you completed the Data Structures & Algorithms in Dart book? If so, did it help you in the way you’d hoped, to understand and implement data structures and algorithms?

Hello @lauragales, I am fine and I hope the same for you. I haven’t finished it yet because I’m working on a web project at the moment in PHP so I stopped the Dart project. But I can tell you that it’s a good book that explains the concepts easily by showing the importance of learning data structures and algorithms. What I recommend if you haven’t already done so is to start with Dart and learn it deeply if you don’t have experience with an OOP language similar to Dart because this book uses Dart language skills.

1 Like

Sounds good! Appreciate the feedback :+1: I am also fine, thanks.
I have read Dart Apprentice and now working my way through Flutter Apprentice. Later, I will read the data structures & algorithms book :slight_smile:

It’s already very good, you’re on the way @lauragales. You are welcome! :wink: :blush: :+1:

1 Like

Hi @seydina , I think that data structure and algorithm is just a very broad topic. I don’t think just reading the book 1 time would make your learning stick to your head. If you have two books, my suggestion:

1. Read either one book first, take notes while you are reading.
  2. Wait for several months.
  3. Read the second book, at the same time try to refresh your memory using your notes.

In the process, you should find that reading the second book should be faster and won’t take you that long as the first book.

2 Likes