iAd Network Discontinued

Here’s the announcement:

iAd App Network will be Discontinued – The iAd App Network will be discontinued as of June 30, 2016. Although we are no longer accepting new apps into the network, advertising campaigns may continue to run and you can still earn advertising revenue until June 30. If you’d like to continue promoting your apps through iAd until then, you can create a campaign using iAd Workbench. We will continue to keep you updated, but if you have any questions, contact us.

I originally read it as being “If you are creating your own ads to be displayed as an iAd, we’re not allowing that after June 30.”

From what I can find, I believe it actually means that we will not be able to programmatically include iAd banners in our apps to generate revenue. I am surprised to find little discussion of this on any forums, and the lack of clarity from Apple.

This is notable because I just spent the last several weeks incorporating the iAd banner into my apps, with an in-app purchase available to remove the banner. It wasn’t wasted time, exactly, because I learned a few things in the process. But now I’ll have to go through them again and remove the iAd banner code? I’ll leave the in-app purchase methods as it seems that will be the only way to generate additional revenue.

hi, i am in a similar situation. i’ve spent a lot of time getting iAd banners working nicely in my game app… Now I think i’ll just remove it all !!..

AdMob doesn’t seem good, so the alternative is … nothing ??? my IAP was going to remove ads and also unlock some extra functionality… so now I guess it will just do the latter.

shame.