How to Learn swift

I have been doing some courses outside of ray. And when I put inferno of Xcode I don’t know how to start, I am doing the iOS a beginners road, I think I understand the programming in iOS videos but I don’t know how to translate those examples to use in real life app. some advise?

another cuestión is if the books are the same as the videos?

thanx

@anzo73 Thanks very much for your question!

Let me get the easiest question out of the way first:

The books have some overlap to the video courses, but they contain more detailed information that you can refer to, and spend more time explaining theory. The video courses are more visual, walking the user through code, and explains concepts through slides, and diagrams.

As far as learning iOS and Swift is concerned, the best thing I would suggest is if you’re going through the video courses already, perhaps download the source code they come with, and work through the starter project, and slowly follow along with the instructor on the video. This way you get a hands on feel for what the instructor is doing. You may have to do this a few times, but perhaps also add comments for yourself in the code using // inside your Xcode file or playground so that you have some explanatory guides to help you understand what it is you’re doing.

As far as Swift goes, I would say this is your foundation, so make sure you have a good understanding of learning to use Swift before doing any iOS work. The best way to do this is to use the Playgrounds in Xcode, and simply get your hands dirty writing code in Swift using the courses that you have a subscription for already. This will also help you understand the courses better, because now you’ll be able to recognize, and understand some of the code that is being used on your own.

Believe it or not, you are not alone with your fear of being able to start. The best thing is to start anyway, and not be afraid to make mistakes. That is the best way to learn. If you’ve done something wrong, find out why. Solving your own problems will empower you with the confidence you need to move forward.

As far as projects to start with, I would honestly suggest doing simple apps first. Focus on learning UICollectionViews since that is where Apple seems to be pushing developers now. Try to build an app that displays a list of items. Then expand on that by allowing the user to make a selection from that list, and take them to another screen showing them details about their selection. Start with that.

I hope this helps!

All the best :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Thats what I start doing, watching first the course then doing along the video and the alone.

one thing for me that is very difficult is the dev. documentation, I try to read it but it difficult to understand.

when I finish the iOS beginner course in video I will pick the books.

thanx

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.