Currency Formatter Question

Hello!

I’ve created the following struct to manage some json data that I’m importing into my app. I’m using the following code to convert a double into US currency, but I don’t understand why xcode/swift is asking me to both nil coalesce and else return “n/a”… why the redunant "N/A"s??

everything is working as I hoped, I just don’t understand the code all that well. I would except the Else statement would suffice, but xcode auto fixes with the ?? “N/A” too.

Any ideas?

struct Record: Codable, Identifiable {

let id: Int

let gf: Double?

var formattedGF: String {
    if let gf = gf {
        let currencyFormatter = NumberFormatter()
        currencyFormatter.numberStyle = .currency

let usLocale = Locale(identifier: "en_US")
        currencyFormatter.locale = usLocale
        return currencyFormatter.string(from: NSNumber(value: gf)) ?? "N/A"
    } else {
        return "N/A"
    }
}

}

Hi @dmalicke, because the constant gf is an optional there has to be a default value in case there is no value available. As for else statement, it seems like it’s only there as a backup in case gf does not have a value and if that was the case then we’d be returning a string “N/A”. You could remove the else statement and return a string but either way, we have to have some sort of return that is of type string.

Best,
Gina

Thanks so much! I really really appreciate this response, and it clears it up for me perfectly.

Have a great day!

1 Like

This is not the true reason for XCode requiring ?? “N/A”.

the first if statement is an optional binding, turning the optional variable gf into a non optional variable gf in the first part of the test

However the method string(from:) of the NumberFormatter class returns an optional String and since the read-only computed property formattedGF is a non optional String, the returns must be non optional.

As a side note, not related, the else statement is not required here. Since the first part of the test always returns something, there is no need for a else

var formattedGF: String 
{
 if let gf = gf
 {
 }

return "N/A"
}

I would have use a guard instead, but only because I like it more this way. I find it more readable to start with not valid tests

var formattedGF: String
{
 guard let gf = gf else { return "N/A" }

}

@mokhet thank you for bringing this to my attention and for sharing your answer. You make a great point and your response is appreciated. Have a great weekend!

Best,
Gina

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.