Creating Snow Trails in Unreal Engine 4

Hi Tommy, thanks for the tutorial!

I need to change the tracing axis from horizontal to vertical ā€¦ is it possible?

Thank you!

Hi all,

Great tutorial! Unfortunately when I integrated this solution into another project of mine, Iā€™m not getting the correct results from the custom depth stencil logic in the ā€œDepthCheckā€ PP material.

For some bizarre reason, Iā€™m getting almost solid white across the entire image, and then random objects that are well outside of the 25 offset are appearing as black silhouettes in the imaging. Obviously my anticipated image is a black image with white ā€œfeetā€ and other objects in the snow. However, for some bizarre reason, the feet arenā€™t appearing (Iā€™ve done a custom depth buffer visualisation in the editor and can only see the character as intended right now). However, the character is not appearing in the depth check, and as mentioned above, Iā€™m getting a white image with other random objects contributing black silhouettes.

I donā€™t suppose you can think of anything that might be causing this issue (Iā€™ve turned on custom depth with stencil in the project rendering settings, and the player characterā€™s feet are using a stencil of 1).

Oh, Iā€™ve realised itā€™s due the the monumental Z height of our starting area (as it works fine at lower levels of our play-area.

Are there any ways to get around this? Is it due to the large Z value of our starting area, or is it because when Iā€™m rendering my capture, itā€™s technically inside the landscape rather than below it (I notice that your tutorials scene capture component is always below the entire landscape, however, in our project its essentially a massive hill, so Iā€™ve been updating the capture componentā€™s Z position based on character - 2000 units. The lowest point of the landscape (overall) is well below this, but all the landscape within our area of interest (Around the player) is above the capture component.

Could this higher than lowest point behaviour be causing an issue?

@tommytran Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!