Chapter 21 Intersection buffer hack scares me

In the Raytracing shadeKernel the intersectionBuffer (Swift name for the MTLBuffer) is passed in as pointer to an array of Intersection structs:

kernel void shadeKernel(uint2 tid [[ thread_position_in_grid]],
                        constant Uniforms &uniforms,
                        device Ray *rays,
                        device Ray *shadowRays,
                        device Intersection *intersections,
                        device float3 *vertexColors,
                        device float3 *vertexNormals,
                        device float2 *random,
                        texture2d<float, access::write> rendertarget)

In the shadowKernel the same intersectionBuffer is passed in as an array of float values:

kernel void shadowKernel(uint2 tid [[ thread_position_in_grid ]],
                         constant Uniforms &uniforms,
                         device Ray *shadowRays,
                         device float *intersections,
                         texture2d<float, access::read_write> renderTarget)

The intersection distance, which is all that is used from the Intersection struct here happens to be the first member of the struct. So for intersections[0] I suppose it should work. But, in general, for intersections[rayIdx] aren’t we referring to arbitrary numbers since the kernel will erroneously use the stride of a float to find values? It seems we should be using Intersection* instead of float* and intersections[rayIdx].distance in the code.

Or is there an implicit conversion going on that I don’t understand? I suppose I could run this in the shader debugger. But it seems less clear than it should be.

Thanks again,
~chuck

Ach, never mind. I just realized the intersectionDataType is different in this case. It really is an array of floats even though we’re reusing the same buffer that used to hold the structs. Well, at least that sunk in well now.

@cocheret Glad you sorted it out! Cheers! :]