Beginning Table Views | Ray Wenderlich

Learn about Table Views, one of the fundamental aspects of iOS, by building in a Todo app.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/5995-beginning-table-views

This seems like a big jump from the previous swift course in the iOS learning track that assumes you already know quite a bit of iOS programming. Should I be concerned with the details of whats going on or just focus on the big picture? Feel like Iā€™m just coding and following along without fully understanding or will this come with additional projects in the iOS track?

These Video Tutorials have so much code errors through the videos also does not have explanations why you are doing each thing. Ray Wenderlich should do it again and make first the complete app without error then make the tutorial also it goes around in all the things. should have steps and short tutorial. If you do not have a little experience in iOS you will be lost.

@bdmoakley Do you have any feedback about this? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

The code errors were a result of a refactor. When you change various methods and properties of an object, youā€™ll get errors from other objects that reference those properties. My suggestion is watch through it again to get an idea of what is occurring.

That said, we always review these courses each year so weā€™ll reassess when we update it. In any case, thanks for the feedback.

What part of the course are you finding yourself getting stuck? Itā€™s always a good idea to first focus on the macro and if you are confused, watched those parts again, and focus on the micro. If you get stuck, feel free to post in the forums and Iā€™ll give you a hand. Thanks!

Hi @bdmoakley @shogunkaramazov I am not stuck. The problem is with a long serie of tutorial for do an app you will not learn. The best idea is create short videos for example " How to pass data between view controllers" and in this tutorial you don not have to have a reference from other video. Just 15 o maximum 20 minutos that you can repeat it again fast a not to check a long history of videos to find the answer. That is like the people learn repeat short videos. In a long history of video you donā€™t learn nothing.

Also in the video tutorial the Beginning Table Views you are using some advance things that you are not explaining and that they are not necessary to make the app works.

Thanks for the feedback. Weā€™ll keep in mind when we next update the course.

I realise this is probably futile, and mentioning it here will do no good in general, but please, please, please, if you make a tutorial can you reinforce to people that NOT selecting ā€˜Upside Downā€™ Portrait mode is a crime against humanity?

When the iPad was first released, the Apple guidelines stated that ALL orientations must be allowed unless there was a specific and valid reason not to. This was also enforced by the submission team.

However, in recent years this became far too relaxed.

There is no good reason why upside down shouldnā€™t be supported - sometimes you use the iPad in a way that you need to have it charging but propped up in portrait. You canā€™t do that unless the app in question supports upside down.

That Appleā€™s new templates have that turned off is appalling, but that Iā€™ve seen devs manually deselect it is worse.

Please, encourage people to always keep all FOUR orientations enabled unless there is a reason to lock in portrait or landscape, but even then, both types of portrait or landscape must be enabled.

This is even more critical now that the ā€˜homeā€™ button is gone.

Thanks

In the following image, Iā€™m using the current official release (not beta) of Xcode and Iā€™m following your tutorial. Iā€™ve just completed the challenge and I noticed in the Storyboard editor that my table cell has a mid grey line running along the bottom of the cell except for a gap at the beginning.

What is this? Have I donā€™t something wrong? Is it a rendering bug in Xcode? Is it a wonky drop shadow or something?

Thanks

@bdmoakley Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

This was a great class. One suggestion: It would be nice in this path to have the next class be Core Data utilizing this todo app to take it to the next level. The saving data class was horrible and was more about decoding images than saving data to Core Data or SQLightā€¦ The ToDo app developed in this class is nice but unable to save dataā€¦ It is a much better app to learn on that the PetPal app as it was written from the ground up by the student. Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the course. Weā€™ve been doing a total rework of our courses so Iā€™ll pass on your feedback. Cheers!

this course is great, thanks all

I find that the explanation is not thorough. Often times, the instructor explains something by saying ā€œyou just do thisā€¦ā€ which does not explain anything.

@black_coffee Please let us know what you donā€™t understand exactly when you get a chance. Thank you!

Hello! I have a problem with my code, referring to ā€œControl Eventā€ video in this tutorial. I connected 2 Outlets as you did in the video, addBarButton and cancelBarButton but the function doesnā€™t recognize this outlets so I canā€™t use addBarButton.isEnabled = false for example. What can I do??
P.s I donā€™t think that I have done any mistake with connecting outlets!

@professori Do you still have issues with this?

Iā€™ve just watched the tutorial sections 27-29 for the third time. when I run the app in section 30 I do not see the ability to type anything on the table view. As a matter of fact, I donā€™t even see the rows of the table view. itā€™s just a white screen under the ā€œCancelā€ and ā€œdoneā€ bar button items.

@bdmoakley Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]