Beginning Table Views · Detail Disclosure Indicator | Ray Wenderlich

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at

Hi Brian,

I’m not sure if I maybe missed an episode, but in the Detail Disclosure Indicator episode the method “configure checkmark” uses the parameters “for cell” and “with item”.

When we first setup the configure checkmark" method, we used “for cell” and “at indexPath”.

This needs to be changed in the code and then also in the two tableView methods where we used the configure checkmark method.

Best regards,

@bdmoakley Can you please fix this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hi Martine, This was changed in the video, refactoring the controller in the part about MVC. Feel free to give it a lookover if you have any questions. Thanks!

Hi Brian,

I have a question about the reuse identifier in general for the tableview cells: When I make multiple new entries in the tableview by tapping the “+” in the table view ( and adding so many that the tableview is filled with new entries along the whole length of the screen) the checkmarks appear/ disappear at random places along the tableview as I scroll up and down the tableview.
Is there a way to fix this? Will this be fixed in the later episodes maybe?

Best regards,


@bdmoakley Do you have any feedback about this? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Sounds to me like you need to do episode 15.

Thx. I have done that. I’m working on episode 46 now. And even when downloading and opening the final project for episode 46 the problem still persists. You can try it yourself. Download and open the project. Add one or multiple items to the table view and start scrolling up and down. The checkmarks appear and disappear in random places on the cells.

This sounds like a bug - the model isn’t keeping up to date with the view. I’ll take a look and see what I can find. Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you so much, Brian. I’m new to iOS programming. Would be nice to know how to make the cells keep their state with the checkmark. Please let me know when you know how to fix the problem, thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Brian. I just finished episode 47 where you fixed the bug with the checkmarks. It was the toggleCheckmark() property of the item that was inside the wrong method. Once it was moved from the configureCheckmark method to the didSelectRowAt indexPath method the bug was fixed.
Thanks again for great videos :slight_smile: :+1:

@tommyp Glad you fixed it! Cheers! :]