Kodeco Forums

Automator for Mac OS X: Tutorial and Examples

Learn how to use Automator for Mac OS X to automate tedious workflows in this tutorial with five complete examples.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/2553-automator-for-mac-os-x-tutorial-and-examples

Hi Neil, I am a new bee and trying to do a simple automation and tried so hard but not getting success, Please can you help, here is the requirement and i want to accomplish.

A) Video files (mp4 format) getting recorded from camera direct to a “A folder” in computer one by one by the name as camera get paused and start recording) “A001C00(1).mp4” Where (1) is incremental value e.g second file will be “A001C00(2).mp4” then third is "A001C00(3).mp4 so on so forth.
B) I want to copy every “NEW file” as soon as getting generated by the camera (on Pause and Start) in the “B folder” and also want to rename like “A001C00(1)” to "A001C001_170527_RJFL.mp4"and for the next file (when it get generated by the camera) “A001C00(2)” to “A001C002_170527_RJFL.mp4” then "“A001C00(3)” to “A001C003_170527_RJFL.mp4” so on so forth.

I am able to rename and add “_170527_RJFL” in the file name but not able to have “Increment” the number e.g C002 then C003 in file name, I tried with “Sequential” in rename option given in Automator but as i m not “selecting” the entire sequence at one instead copying and renaming every shot/file one by one basis and pushing it to desired folder. So after first file the rest of the file not getting renamed properly as the “starting number” in renaming feature does not have incremental due single file selection and always starts from “1”.

Please can you help to sort this out as its very much need and my workflow is dependent on this automation.

Thank you in advance for your great support.
All my Best

• Tahir Moosa

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]