Android Networking - Part 5: HttpUrlConnection | Ray Wenderlich

Use the HttpUrlConnection class, along with an AsyncTask, to query the GitHub repos API for any GitHub user.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4539-android-networking/lessons/5

PLEASE never ever use a light IDE anymore, my eyes are burning X-O

Thanks, Ofir. Agreed! We’ve switched to using Darcula in our videos. :]

Hello, I keep getting a unresolved reference error when trying to create the FetchReposAysncTask() method call inside the getRepos() method. Also, when I list methods or classes as private inside BasicRepository.kt I keep getting errors saying that local methods and classes cannot be made private02%20AM

@macsimus Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Thanks for the question, @bmitchell794. How does your code compare to that in the final project for this video? Could you post here any differences you see between your code for BasicRepository and the final project version? Thanks again!

Thank you for your fast reply @macsimus & @shogunkaramazov! I went ahead and deleted my working file and re-downloaded the course materials and started over. Everything is working as it should be now. It was not too much of a hassle since I was not too far into the material. Thanks again!

This isn’t really a course as it is just a walk-through. This is the third course on this site where I feel like I’m just following along and not actually learning anything.

@devjmichealmurray Please let us know what you don’t understand exactly when you get a chance. Thank you!

Hi there!

I’m following this course trying to export everything to the new androidx version.

Now I’m a little bit stuck when I try to create the function FetchReposAsyncTask because AsyncTask it’s deprecated for API level R.

I couldn’t find the way to do it with the new Coroutines.

Any help? Thanks

@macsimus Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]