Kodeco Forums

Advanced MapKit Tutorial: Custom Tiles

In this MapKit tutorial you'll learn how to create and use custom map tiles to make the maps in your app unique so that it stands out from the competition. You'll also discover how to set up custom location annotations and render an overlay dynamically.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/823-advanced-mapkit-tutorial-custom-tiles

Appears to require Xcode 9 and Swift 4.

Yes, our tutorials are on to the latest and greatest. However the code and concepts will work fine on iOS 10 with Swift 3.

I couldn’t get the starter to build with XCode 8 and Swift 3 but I didn’t try very hard to get past the errors. The tutorial really sounds interesting so maybe I’ll give it another try when “the latest and greatest” is out of beta :-).

Thanks!

Thanks for the tutorial.
I downloaded the project and after launching I can see the custom annotation, but no custom tiles were loaded. I had the same problem loading custom tiles from Google. No map, just dashed board with custom annotation.

Can you confirm that the latest (Xcode 9 beta 4) fails to load custom map tiles ?

@kernelpanic Yes, it appears to not load for me in the latest beta. I’ll take a look into it, but it might be an beta issue (i hope).

Hi. Thanks a lot for your great tutorials. I’m new to Swift so I’m trying to follow each step of the tutorial carefully…
My issue is that, in the Advanced MapKit Tutorial: Custom Tiles, I can’t manage to have the Open Street Map to show instead of the Apple Map.
When I download the end project, everything seems to be fine with the custom tiles (they are showing correctly), but the step of having OSM instead of Apple Map doesn’t work for me…
Any idea why this could be? Thanks a lot again.

Is there any error message?

nope! nothing… only the normal Apple Map displaying instead of anything else… :frowning:

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]