Video Tutorial: Beginning Core Graphics Part 1: Getting Started

Great tutorial.

In case someone else runs into this. For something to be @IBInspectable you must explicitly set its type.

This works

@IBInspectable var borderColor:UIColor = UIColor.black

This does not, even though it is completely legal if not preferred “swifty” syntax.

@IBInspectable var borderColor = UIColor.black
1 Like

This Tutorial material totally crashes in X code 4.0 where do i go for a current tutorial. Thanks

Hi Caroline , Migrating sample files to Swift 4 have been pretty difficult. Could you post the sample app that works in latest swift version. Thank you !

@sachin_develper Here’s the final finished code Xcode 9 Part 6 PDF.zip (203.3 KB)

That was a quick reply Caroline ! Thank you!

Hi. I am basically new to core graphics and therefore will be following the tutorials line from line/word to word. I am using XCode 9 and want to develop in Swift 4. It appears this tutorial is in Swift 2. Is the starter code form Swift 3 and up available?

@caroline Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

@hollywoodno - Hi - Core Graphics has changed a lot in the newer version of Swift. I would suggest that you hold off until the course has been updated. (:zipper_mouth_face: - it’s in the pipeline!)

Would love to see this updated for the latest Swift and Xcode. Is that still in the pipeline?

Hi @keydogg - it came out in May 2018: https://www.raywenderlich.com/4659-drawing-in-ios-with-core-animation-and-core-graphics

There is also a newer Drawing in iOS with SwiftUI too. That doesn’t cover CALayers, but does have a small bit of Core Graphics in it.

Thanks! I just finished your Drawing in iOS with SwiftUI series and found that very useful. Looking forward to applying these new skills!!!

1 Like