Mac OS X Development Tutorial for Beginners Part 1: Intro to Xcode

I discovered that the migration tool seems to work fine if you update to swift 2.3. This is what I did to run this tutorial. I also was missing the rw_icon.png. I did not think about looking for it here in the comments (silly me). I did find it online with a google search, but it was 500x500 pixels, so I have to edit is a little for it to work.

That is my story. I am sticking to it.

Thanks for the tutorial.

1 Like

Hi @bobbobbee

Glad you managed to get the code updated, and that you enjoyed the tutorial :slight_smile:

sam

Hi,
As discussed above I got various compile error on migration to Swift3. I resolved them as per the auto-suggestions from Xcode. The app comes up fine, however the UI is blank. Is there something specific I can look for.

Regards,
Vishal

Looks like there are no events for the default user mentioned in the code. Changed the username and it worked

@vishalj - great - well spotted :slight_smile:

sam

Hi! great tutorial but I’m struggling building the example code after converting it to Swift 3 in Xcode 8 obtaining 2 errors:
Type ‘GitHubDataFileProvider’ does not conform to protocol ‘GitHubDataProvider’
and
Type ‘GitHubDataNetworkProvider’ does not conform to protocol ‘GitHubDataProvider’
if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi @lojedi,

I’ve got an updated version of this project on the Swift 3 branch of this repo:

Note that I’ve only updated this project, and not the other two in the repo.

Hope that’s of some help

sam

Thanks @samdavies
works perfectly!

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. I downloaded the new HubEvent code and it works fine (Thankyou Sam) and I changed the AppIcon as indicated for the 512 2x to the new one but it’s still showing the default icon. I searched elsewhere and found a suggestion to do : rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db ; killall Dock
tried that a couple of times but am still seeing the default.
I also tried changing the bundle identifier and changed the team for the signing certificate to my own, but still get the default. I note that rw_icon.png Is actually 1024x1024. I guess that corresponds to 512 2x. using Xcode 8.2.1

Hi!

I am also having problems building the project. I saw your comment above and downloaded HubEvent_7.1.zip from IntroToOSX/00_geting_started at swift3 · sammyd/IntroToOSX · GitHub, but that has the same problem. When I open the project in Xcode it tells me ‘The targets “HubEvent” and “GitHubData” contain source code developed with an earlier version of Swift.’ If I convert them to a newer version, I get lots of errors when building. Can you let me know what I’m doing wrong please?

M

Hallo

I have tried to compile the Tutorial, but there are coming some problems, unfortunately I can not fix it, i am absolute beginner.

Thanks in forward.

Götz

Hi all,

You might be better looking at the updated version of this series of articles:

https://www.raywenderlich.com/151741/macos-development-beginners-part-1

The samples are different, but it should be up-to-date for the latest versions of Xcode and Swift.

sam